Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Hope & Dream



On March 6, 1957, Ghana became the first country in Africa south of the Sahara to gain independence from colonial rule. Fifty years later on 6 March, Ghana celebrated their first 50 years of independence, and I was proud to celebrate with them.
A week before the celebration friend of mine invited me and asked me to be one of the keynote speakers I humbly accepted his invitation. The next day I research my topic which was Nkrumah’s vision of United States of Africa. Before I started my research, I asked my self is it possible to see United Sates of Africa, can Africa emerge from the chaos and the poverty, and why Africa is underdeveloped; unfortunately I couldn’t answer the first question but I know that The United States of Africa was dream cherished from the earliest days of pan-Africanism. I believe the failure of the post-colonial state is the root cause of the poverty and the violence that is plunging whole swathes of Africa into chaos. Western imperialism interrupted the process of state building. Nkrumah once said that “Ghana’s independence is meaningless unless it is linked up with the total liberation of the African continent” He became international symbol of freedom as the leader of the first black African country to shake off the chains of colonial rule. The night of the celebration I went to the Hotel which is held the ceremony everyone was happy; there was sense of unity, joy, and national sense of pride. One of my professors who is from Ghana asked me couple of questions. He said why are you (Somali) still fighting The Somali people share a common language, culture, and religion; unlike Ghana we have many different languages, and religions. I told him we the Somali people are not hopeless, we still have a dream, and we will rise above. After the celebration I left the party with hope, dreams, and heart-broken. I hoped that all the Ghanaian people bright future, unity, and anther 50 year of happiness and prosperity. I dreamed about our first 50 years of independence which will be July 1 of 2010, but when I remembered the situation of our land I really disappointed, and I couldn’t sleep that night

4 comments:

SleepDepraved said...

You were a speaker at a function celebrating Ghanaian independence? I am not entirely sure how you would play into the whole scheme but I guess there must have been a reason. Anyway the reason I felt the need to comment was the Kwame Nkurumah as were many of the leaders of the time had a common cause and a common enemy. They don't make leaders like that anymore, nor do African countries have common enemies anymore. The leaders all have a cause though i.e. line their bank accounts while in power and after milking the country dry, sentence themselves to voluntary exile in another country.

wiilqurbo said...

SleepDepraved Waad ku mahadsantahay boqoshadaada.

Ghanaian community in Portland Oregon were celebrating, and they invited me because I was the most qualify person to speak the event, and my role was Nkrumah’s vision of Pan African. I agree with you that Kwame Nkurumah, and many African leaders of the time had a common cause and a common enemy. But did you forget that poverty, inequality, and Poor Health are the biggest and most dangerous common enemy for African people, and their leaders. Not all the African leaders are corrupted. In the last two decades we saw many bright, honest, educated African Leaders but I’m not denying that there are corrupted leaders in African.


Thank you SleepDepraved!

Anonymous said...

Wiilqurbo I agree with you African people are suffering poverty and luck of health care, and these are common enemy. You are right we all have a dreams and hopes. I hope one day our people come together and rebuild our beautiful country

Thank you wiilqurbo

SleepDepraved said...

You must be an idealist person. I have yet to see an African leader emerge in the chaos that we call the dark continent. I guess its better that someone believes out there.

Ps:- If you are gung-ho to prove there are leaders maybe you should do a follow up post with a couple current leaders;excluding mandela off course